Benefits Of Porcelain Veneers
November 18 2019 by Mills Haven Dental
What are Porcelain Veneers?
Porcelain veneers use thin, tooth-coloured shells attached to the front of your teeth. Veneers are a professional cosmetic dentistry procedure which is highly effective in achieving a great aesthetic look, as they are typically colour-matched to your natural teeth color to offer a natural finish. Besides to help fix the appearance of teeth from decay and damage, veneers are often used to improve the look of healthy teeth, too. Veneers are cosmetic dental treatment which can improve your smile and give you greater confidence.
Why Do People Need Veneers?
Veneers are often used to help with:
- Discoloration - Restore a bright and shiny smile by fixing the color of your teeth.
- Damage and Wear - Chipped, broken or teeth damaged from excessive grinding can be fixed with veneers. Veneers can alter or restore the shape and function of a tooth.
- Bridging Gaps - Veneers can close teeth together to avoid unwanted gaps, which can improve dental health by avoiding food and debris from getting stuck.
- Cosmetic Alterations/Purposes
Dentists use porcelain or composite resin for veneer procedures to help fix issues with tooth structure, as well as to improve the appearance of teeth colour, shape, angle or spacing.
Benefits of Porcelain Veneers vs. Other Veneers
- Composite Veneers are made from composite resin, a durable material used for fillings which generally last 4-8 years. They are sometimes more cost-friendly, and the procedure is considered reversible seeing as composite material can be altered down the road.
- Prepless veneers are manufactured in-house by dentists, and can last from 5-7 years. Prepless or "no prep" veneers are generally used for cosmetic cases and requires little to no wait time since they can be made on the same day. However, not all cases are suitable for prepress veneers.
- Standard Porcelain Veneers
Porcelain veneers may take 2-3 weeks to complete, and are generally non-reversible because your teeth may need to be altered to fit the veneers.
People choose porcelain veneers as they are:
- Much stronger
- More durable
- Natural appearance
- Stain Resistant
Procedure of Porcelain Veneers
The veneers procedure generally requires 2-3 appointments:
- Imaging and Examination - Your dentist examines your teeth and gums to advise whether you are suitable for veneers. If so, molds and impressions may be taken to start your treatment planning.
- Temporary Fittings and Preparation - Your dentist prepares your teeth with anesthetic and removes a thin layer of enamel from your teeth so that the porcelain veneers will fit. You will be fitted with temporary veneers to wear during the transition time as your teeth molds are sent off to be made into veneers.
- Fitting - Bonding and fitting of the veneers. The dentist will apply the veneers and make any final adjustments and polishing as required. Your veneers are then cemented and fixed into place
Porcelain Veneers Aftercare
Veneers require proper aftercare as they are susceptible to decay, just like natural teeth. Make sure to brush, floss and use mouthwash as you would before getting them. It is important to take care of your oral health after getting veneers just as you would care for your regular teeth.
If you still have questions about Porcelain Veneers, Mills Haven Dental is always happy to answer your questions. Contact us today to book an appointment!